When you’ve been reveling in Minecraft and competing against your friends on Xbox One for hours, thinking about the dirt and dust that’s accumulated is probably the last thing on your mind. That said, though, properly cleaning your gaming console is necessary in ensuring the longevity of your device. Doing so can help make sure your system doesn’t break down as a result of damage from dust buildup. In this game, we’ll discuss a few pointers on how to clean your Xbox One — before it’s “game over.”
What You’ll Need to Clean Your Xbox One
To kick off the Xbox cleaning process, here are the materials you’ll need:
- Compressed air.
- Water and mild soap or rubbing alcohol.
- A vacuum cleaner with a hose or attachment.
- A soft-bristled brush such as one used for painting or dusting.
- A microfiber cloth.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Your Xbox
Steer clear of the following items when cleaning your gaming console.
- Disinfectant wipes.
- Harsh cleaning chemicals such as bleach can seep into the ventilation system of your gaming console and damage it.
Can Dirt or Dust Damage an Xbox One?
Failure to wipe your gaming console frequently leads to the accumulation of debris, dust, dirt, and hair, resulting in overheating and malfunctioning. Internal parts such as your cooling fan or disc drive may get damaged due to the accumulation of dust that blocks the air vents.
How to Clean Xbox One Without Opening It
With these tips in mind, cleaning your gaming console will be a walk in the park — we guarantee you’ll be able to get it looking as good as new. Better yet, you don’t even know how to open and clean the console. Here’s what to do instead:
- Unplug the Xbox from the power outlet and remove the power cable.
- Dab a microfiber cloth with rubbing alcohol or a mild soapy solution and clean the exterior and surface of your console. Do so in circular motions to buff out dirt, fingerprints, and smudges.
- Loosen the grime, dust, and dirt surrounding the console’s openings, ports, and vents with a soft-bristled brush. Additionally, the can of compressed air will come in handy to blow away the dirt and dust in short bursts.
- Hold the hose or handheld attachment of your vacuum near the console to remove any remaining dust in the console’s ports and vents.
- Use the microfiber cloth to clean the console’s surface again in case dust has settled on it.
How to Clean the Fan of Your Xbox One
If you notice the fan of your console getting noisy, it might be as a result of dust buildup, making it more challenging for the fan to continue spinning and get the job done. Your best bet to keep the fan functioning optimally is to clean out the air vents.
To keep the Xbox One fan clean:
- Once you’ve cleaned the vents, ensure you position your Xbox in an area with excellent airflow to aid in cooling.
- Clean the gaming console after every three to six months to ensure it functions optimally.
- Grab the container of compressed air to blast dirt and dust from the air vents.
- Give your console the high ground by positioning it off the floor and in the open rather than inside a cabinet. or on a rug. Doing so prevents the buildup of heavy dust. Additionally, keep your Xbox away from children and pets that may damage it.
How to Clean Xbox One Controllers
Once you’ve done the heavy lifting, it’s time to clean the console’s accessories. Unlike your console, you can use disinfectant wipes on the adaptive controllers (except the Elite edition) or the Xbox wireless. You have free rein to use rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth by following the steps below.
- Unplug and switch off your Xbox controller by long-pressing the “Xbox’”button for 10 seconds.
- Apply the rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth and wipe both analog sticks, particularly at the base. Ensure you move each stick around during the cleaning process.
- Wait for the alcohol to dry entirely on your controller before you use it.
Cleaning your Xbox One can be a crucial step in maintaining the longevity of your device. That said, you’ll want to adhere to these tips and tricks to ensure it’s done properly.