Best Steam Mops for Hardwood Floors in 2019
- Best Steam Mops for Hardwood Floors in 2019
- Our Top 10 – Quick Overview
- 1. Bissell PowerFresh 2075A Slim Hard Wood Floor Steam Mop
- 2. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner Multipurpose
- 3. Bissell Symphony Steam Mop 1543A
- 4. Bissell 1806 PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop
- 5. Shark Genius S5003D Hard Floor Cleaning System
- 6. Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940
- 7. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY S3601 All-In-One Steam Mop
- 8. O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
- 9. iwoly M11 Steam Mop
- 10. Bissell PowerEdge Lift-Off Steam Mop 20781
- Steam Mops for Hard Floors: A Buying Guide
If you have hardwood floors, a steam mop is the best investment you can make. Steam mops are an all-in-one device for cleaning dirt, stains, smears, and footprints off the floor. Unlike regular mops or swiffers, steam cleaners are powerful enough to remove even persistent stains and caked-on mud.
Be sure to check our top list as all of the mops presented here are of good quality. There are many steam cleaners on the market today. Buying the wrong one is not just a waste of money but can even damage your hardwood floors. Cheaper mops are often built with poorly built heads and scrapers that can scratch surfaces.surface of your floor.
So, what are the best cleaners for hardwood floors? Let’s take a look!
Our Top 10 – Quick Overview
1. Bissell PowerFresh 2075A Slim Hard Wood Floor Steam Mop
It’s no surprise that the Bissell PowerFresh is the #1-selling steam mop on Amazon. What do people like about it? Customers like that the PowerFresh offers a little bit of everything. Not only is it versatile and well-designed, but it’s also affordable.
The PowerFresh is a 3-in-1 machine that can be used as an upright steam cleaner as well as a hand-held cleaner for cleaning harder-to-reach places. It’s able to remove even the toughest stains and dirt. Plus, it comes with reusable mop pads which you can re-wash and use again and again. This makes the Bissell PowerFresh one of the most environmentally-friendly units on the market.
- Great for taking care of persistent stains and sticky spots.
- Hard-bristled brush loosens grime while hot steam helps dissolve the particles.
- Easy-Scrubber brush flips down with a foot-switch.
- Comes with two free reusable mop pads in the package.
- Multiple users noted that the cap on the water tank is fragile and prone to breaking or splitting open.
- Hot steam seeping out of the crack can cause a safety risk for users.
2. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner Multipurpose
The Dupray NEAT Steam Cleaner Multipurpose mop is an all-in-one device for cleaning and sanitation. It’s designed to efficiently lift stains, dirt, and grease along with disinfecting the floor. In fact, it can kill up to 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and pathogens. The device can even be used to combat bedbugs and mold. For sanitation-minded homeowners, this device will fill the role of keeping your home clean and sanitary.
The Neat Steam Cleaner by Dupray comes with a flexible arm that you can use to clean surfaces other than the floor. Furniture, toys, and even toilets are all within reach. This device is excellent for families with small children and pets. As a bonus, you do not need to buy any specialized pads to use; instead, you can use a regular hand towel!.
- Naturally disinfects surfaces using steam at a temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- No need to use harsh chemical disinfectants to kill germs.
- Covered by a comprehensive 2-year warranty and the steam cleaner boiler is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Water reservoir has no indicator light to let you know when it’s empty.
This model is built with pet-owners in mind. It makes cleaning up after your pet much easier, since it eliminates the need to sweep, vacuum, and mop separately. Instead, you can simply use this all-in-one tool to handle the whole mess at once. The Symphony has separate tanks for dirt and waste water, which is the secret to how it can vacuum and steam-clean.
The Bissell Symphony comes with a series of attachable pads, each designed to specialize in a certain task. For major messes, you can simply clip on a disposable pad and then throw it away when you’re finished cleaning.
- All-in-one design means you can vacuum and steam-clean with the same device.
- Works on all flooring types, including hardwood, linoleum, marble, and ceramic tile.
- Odor removers for pet waste are sold separately and not reusable.
The PowerFresh Steam Mop by Bissell is designed for long-lasting performance. Not only will the mop leave your floors looking cleaner, but the Microban-infused mod pads will sanitize your floors to eliminate 99.9% of bacteria without the use of harsh chemicals. You can use the PowerFresh on floors of all types, including carpet, since it’s equipped with a detachable carpet glider.
This model is user-friendly and makes the steam cleaning process easy. The water tank is transparent so you can see when the water level is low. Plus, the box comes with a measuring cup for easily pouring the correct amount in the tank. The tank is large enough to handle almost a full hour of non-stop cleaning.
- Able to fully clean up messes without leaving anything behind.
- Doesn’t create streaks or marks on the floor.
- Large tank that can hold up to 16-ounces of water at a time. This means you can wash
- 23-foot long power cord gives you the flexibility to move from room to room without unplugging the device.
- Large and bulky compared to other steam cleaners on the market.
- Tough to maneuver into small areas.
5. Shark Genius S5003D Hard Floor Cleaning System
The Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System (S5003D) is designed to help you clean your floors as quickly and efficiently as possible. The large, extra-wide mop head and double-sided mop pads mean you do not have to make as many passes over the mess. The mop head is mounted on a swivel joint, so it’s highly maneuverable and can clean even the most difficult to reach places.
Reviewers love that the mop-pads are highly absorbent and are designed to be used up to 20 times before they need replacement. This makes ongoing costs cheaper than models that need new mop-pads after each use. Plus, the price is competitive compared to similar steam cleaners on the market.
- Swivel joint for increased maneuverability.
- The mop head can be attached and detached with a simple quick-release switch.
- Large mop head means you can clean up messes quickly.
- While we did not experience this, some people note this model may sometimes have durability issues (not turning on, broken parts, etc.)
The BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940 cleans messes while leaving behind a fresh, spring-breeze scent. This heavy-duty unit is designed to handle the worst messes, including tough-to-clean stains on grout. Many steam cleaners struggle with grout, so this is an ideal unit for tile-lovers.
The 23-foot-long power cord provides a wide range of motion, so you can clean a large amount of floor space before you need to unplug and replug it in. The unit comes with a large water tank that can handle up to 90 minutes of use before it needs to a refill. Overall, the PowerFresh is ideal for homeowners with a large amount of floor space to clean.
- Multi-surface cleaner can be used for tile floors, shower walls, and kitchen backsplashes.
- Variety of pads for different types of messes
- Fragrance discs give an extra boost of odor elimination power.
- Carpet glider means you can clean carpets.
- Screw-on cap for the water tank breaks easily.
7. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY S3601 All-In-One Steam Mop
The Light ‘N’ Easy Multifunctional Steam Mop is a jack-of-all-trades and performs five different functions. The various tools and attachments allow you to clean surfaces beyond just your floors, including glass and furniture. The three different settings mean the device is safe to use on all surfaces without risking damage. Plus, the settings give you the ability to handle daily cleaning just as effectively as heavy-duty dirt.
The model by Light ‘N’ Easy is built with a pivoting head, so it’s perfect for reaching tight spaces. Add this to the 20-foot extension cord, and it makes cleaning both easy and convenient.
- Light and maneuverable.
- Pivoting head makes it easy to reach tight spaces.
- 20-foot long cord for covering a lot of ground.
- Multi-tool allows you to clean multiple surfaces.
- Users noted that the attachable cleaning pads are flimsy.
- Unit doesn’t clean grout well.
The Microfiber Steam Mop by O-Cedar is consistently one of the top-ranked units available on the market. It’s lightweight, durable, and versatile. Plus, it has a handy attachment for spot cleaning on carpets and furniture. For such a high-quality machine, it’s also extremely affordable.
One of the most popular features of the O-Cedar mop is that it heats up quickly. Once you add water and turn on the device, it only takes 20 seconds to heat up enough to begin cleaning. Standard units can take up to several minutes before they’re ready, which can be a pain when you need to re-fill it while cleaning.
- Lightweight and highly mobile.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Holds a large amount of water without weighing down the device.
- Water heats up in just 20 seconds.
- No level on water tank to indicate when it’s empty.
- No automatic shut-off.
9. iwoly M11 Steam Mop
The iwoly M11 Steam Mop is the perfect solution for homeowners who want to clean and disinfect their floors without the use of chemicals. Highly versatile, the iwoly M11 can be used on all kinds of floors, including carpet, tile, wood, and laminate. The 2-setting intelligent steam control lets you control the amount of steam you use on each job, so you can increase or decrease it as needed. A lower amount of steam is especially important for protecting hardwood floors!
Reviewers like that the iwoly cleaner comes with a free carpet glider. The glider is a device that you lay on the carpet and then place the steamer on top of. Most steamers are not fit for use on carpet, so the carpet glider is a game-changer if you have both carpet and hard flooring in your home.
- Deep-cleans carpets
- Comes with free carpet glider
- Highly maneuverable for cleaning tight spaces and hard-to-reach places in your home.
- 16.5 foot power cord to maximize flexibility
- While we did not experience this, some consumers report inconsistent quality (broken handles, leaks, faulty carpet gliders, etc.)
10. Bissell PowerEdge Lift-Off Steam Mop 20781
The Bissell PowerEdge Lift-Off Steam Mop 20781 is unique because it comes with a triangle-shaped base that allows you to clean corners and other tight spaces. It also comes with a portable hand-held tool for cleaning surfaces like sinks and countertops. This is a popular feature among reviewers who enjoy being able to multi-task with one cleaning device.
This model features an option for steam on-demand, so you can customize the amount of steam used on each job. Hardwood flooring is e sensitive to steam and requires less of it than sturdier floors like tile and linoleum. If your home features mixed flooring types, this model has the versatility you’re looking for.
- Lightweight, convenient design.
- Triangle mop shape for easily cleaning corners.
- Hand-held tool allows for cleaning countertops and tables.
- Only comes with one mop head.
Which steam mop is right for you? After running through the list of the top ten best mops, you have lots of high-quality options to choose from. From lightweight designs to heavy-duty stain-removers, the mops we reviewed bring their own strengths and unique features to the market.
Our top choice for hardwood floors? That would be the Bissell PowerFresh 2075A.
While the Dupray Neat remains our overall top pick for steam cleaning, it is not a mop but a more general system. So if you are looking for that, the Dupray Neat is your ideal choice instead.
You don’t have to be a pet owner to enjoy the benefits of the PowerFresh 2075A. After all, if it can clean up pet urine without leaving a trace, it can effectively wash away almost any mess you may encounter in your home. Plus, the 3-in-1 design means you’re getting three steam cleaners for the price of one. You can’t beat that!
The PowerFresh 2075A is the #1 best-selling mop on Amazon, and after reviewing it, we can absolutely see why. Don’t forget to check out the Amazon page to see what users are saying about!
- 3 in 1 steam mop allows you to clean both on and above your floors with a fully upright steam mop, extension Wand and handheld steam cleaner
- On board tool kit allows you to carry tools while you clean grout tool, angle tool, flat scrapper tool, bristle scrub brush
- Bonus tools: flat surface tool with mop pad, clothing steamer tool, bristle scrub brush for above floor multi surface cleaning. All tools can be attached to end of extension Wand or handheld steamer
- Swivel steering to get into tight spaces and wall mount for easy storage. For indoor use only. Cleaning Path Width: 13"
- Eliminate 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria when used as directed. Safe to use on sealed hard floors such as hardwood, ceramic, linoleum, granite, and marble
Steam Mops for Hard Floors: A Buying Guide
Buying a steam mop isn’t like buying a traditional mop. Steam mops have lots of additional features to enhance how well you can clean your floors. Some models even give you the freedom to clean other surfaces like glass, mirrors, furniture, and more.
If you look at the various steam mops available on the market, you’ll notice right away that there is a huge range of features for each one. In other words, not all mops are made alike! So what are the most important features to look for when buying a mop? That depends on your home and lifestyle.
Take a look at the buyer’s guide below so you can familiarize yourself with what features you should look for:
Steam mops come in a range of weight classes, with some of them being much lighter than others. Some models are as light as 5-pounds, which makes them very easy to lift and maneuver. Heavier models weight 15-pounds or more. If you live in a multi-story home and will need to carry the mop up and downstairs, you may want to get a lighter model.
Keep in mind that when using a steam mop, it should not sit in one spot for too long. The machine needs to be in constant motion, so it may get difficult to push a heavier model around for a prolonged period of time.
Steam mops come with detachable pads to enhance the cleaning experience. The pad attaches to the bottom of the mop and is the portion of the device that comes into direct contact with the floor. Not all cleaning pads are made alike, and some are sturdier than others or more effective at cleaning certain types of stains.
If you own hardwood floors, be sure to get soft pads instead of abrasive pads. This will protect your floor and prevent scratches.
Unlike regular mops, the water in a steam cleaner needs to be heated up so it converts into steam. Only when the water reaches a certain temperature can you begin cleaning your floors. The steam inside a cleaner needs to reach a minimum of 171 degrees Fahrenheit to be effective. If the steam is cooler, it will not kill germs and sanitize your home. It may also leave too much liquid water behind which will ultimately damage your floors.
Different mops reach the desired temperature at different times. Ideally, your mop will heat up in less than one minute. However, certain models are much quicker and heat up in a matter of seconds.
Steam output is important for homeowners with hardwood floors. Hardwood floors are susceptible to water damage, so it’s best to get a steam mop with minimal moisture output. Some mops have adjustable steam output options or low-steam options, which is ideal for wood floors.
You should also be sure to get a mop that is capable of heating water to a minimum threshold of 171 degrees Fahrenheit. If the mop can’t reach that temperature, it will give off more liquid water which can damage your floors.
Your steam mop should be easy to maneuver. Some mops have features that allow them to better reach small spaces and corners. If you value maneuverability, you should keep an eye out for features like floor nozzles, pivoting mop heads, and ergonomic handles. This is especially important if you have a smaller space or lots of furniture to navigate around.
This feature doesn’t apply to everyone. If you just want a straightforward mop for cleaning hardwood floors, you can get by with a single-purpose steam mop. However, if your home has more than one type of flooring, you may want to consider getting a dual-purpose unit.
Some steam wands can also clean glass, mirrors, and even upholstery. Typically these dual-purpose cleaners come with accessories like hand-held hoses to make cleaning furniture easier.
The size of the water reservoir determines how much water the tank can hold. Larger tanks are heavier but need to be refilled less often. If you have a lot of floor space to cover, you may find it beneficial to buy a mop with a large water reservoir. Otherwise, you’ll have to make frequent trips to the sink to refill the tank.
Keep in mind that each time you fill the tank, you’ll have to wait for it to reheat before you can resume cleaning.
Compatibility with floors
Some steam mops are more versatile at a variety of flooring types than others. Hardwood, tile, laminate, and sealed wood are all common types of flooring. When you’re researching these devices, be sure to read the manufacturers note on what types of flooring the mop is compatible with.
Some mops leave behind residual moisture, which will damage wood floors. Other mops struggle with tile because they’re not suited for cleaning grout. To get the most out of your new steam cleaners, you want to feel confident that it’s compatible with the floors in your home.
Accessories and more
Helpful accessories are commonly available for steam mops. The accessories you get vary from model to model, so take a look at what each mop comes with. Certain accessories may fit your lifestyle and need more than others.
Empty Reservoir Indicator: Some units come a light that flickers when the water tank is empty.
Power Cord: The length of the power cord varies from model to model. The typical range falls anywhere between 15 to 30 feet in length. Longer cords give you a wider range of motion, so these models are ideal for consumers with larger homes. A shorter cord will limit you to a smaller space and you’ll need to unplug and replug the device frequently.
Grout tools: Some units come with additional tools for cleaning grout, which many standard mops struggle with. If you have tile flooring, it may be beneficial to get a grout scraping tool.
Last update on 2019-11-17 at 17:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API