McCulloch MC1385 Review
Steaming is an environment-friendly way of cleaning tiled floors and other hard surfaces around the home or shop.
Parents favor the technique for tidying up kitchens and baths without toxic chemicals. Hot steam is also effective in eliminating bed bugs. In this review, we look at how well this canister-type model performs in various steam cleaning tasks.
From the Manufacturer:
“The McCulloch MC1385 Deluxe Canister Steam System is a multi-purpose steam cleaner, great for cleaning and mopping. Using ordinary water heated to over 200 degrees Fahrenheit, the MC1385 effectively and naturally cleans and sanitizes a wide variety of surfaces. With more steam time and variable steam control, the MC1385 is equipped for the toughest jobs.”
Steaming and its uses
Steam cleaners allow you to apply cleansing hot vapors wherever they are needed. Grout stains on tile floors that are hard to scrub off by hand are promptly loosened by the dissolving effects of forceful jets of steam.
Steaming also works safely on laminate floorboards, when carefully applied with mop attachments. This method leaves only tiny amounts of moisture behind and is the safer option for laminates. As a bonus, exposure to temperatures of at least 120°F will kill any and all bed bugs caught directly in the steam path.
Another great use is cleaning your oven. We all know how hard they can be to clean! Skip the hassle of self-cleaning ovens that take hours to complete and leave the house hot and smokey. With a little elbow grease, a steam cleaner will do just fine!
- 1500-Watt heating element
- High 210˚F temperature quickly kills bed bugs
- On-demand adjustable trigger
- Up to 4 bar (58 psi) output pressures
- The large-capacity 64-ounce boiler produces steam for almost 2 hours
- Wide range of accessories
This big steamer has more than enough capacity to deal with a variety of jobs, owing to its thoughtful design, sturdy construction, and the 23 useful accessories. The housing is sufficiently trim that it can be readily rolled to other rooms.
A locking trigger on the handle enables non-stop steaming without the need to repeatedly trigger output. The 64-ounce boiler needs less frequent refilling than smaller units and can provide up to 2 hours of steam. The pressure gauge provides a safety check but normally fluctuates between 4 and 2 bar as pressure releases then builds up again.
One of the nicest things about this package is its broad range of accessories, including jet and angle nozzles, 2 extensions, large and corner brushes, brass and nylon utility brushes, a pair each of scrubbing pads and round brushes, and microfiber pads.
Also included are a useful mop head with bristle attachment, scraper, filling cup, squeegee, and a storage case and accessory net.
Within 12-15 minutes of switching on, the heating element generates jets of steam with temperatures beyond 200°F and pressures reaching 4 bar (58 psi). We figured that triggering the switch a few times for 5 minutes gets water to run and steam to build.
This steamer is fantastic for car detailing. Here’s a video showing the steamer in action.
We always start with the lowest setting then raise it as needed, tailoring the output for various jobs, i.e. delicate steaming for walls and light stuff, heavy steaming for tough kitchen and bath problems. With almost 2 hours of continuous steaming possible, however, the grip really warms up in long use.
Refilling the tank through can get tricky, though. A funnel would have helped in preventing spills. We were careful not to overfill, as doing so leaves no room for heat expansion and slows steam build-up.
The pricey McCulloch MC1385 is a big steam cleaner that is designed and built to make short work of just about any steaming job at home.
The large boiler capacity and long cord and hose are excellent for covering large areas of tile floors and other hard surfaces. Its combination of powerful jets and useful accessories will enable you to deal with the worst stains afoot in any kitchen or bath floor.
Our main gripe with this steamer is the build quality. Both the steamer and attachments showed signs of quality issues so keep this in mind.
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more.
- 23 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, angled nozzle, scrub pad, scraper, squeegee, and more. Conveniently store accessories on-board or in included storage bag.
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 64-ounce water tank heats up in under 12 minutes and provides up to 120 minutes of steam. Blast away dirt and grime with on-demand variable steam control, optional steam lock for continuous steam, and 4 bar (58 PSI) pressure. Hertz : 60 HZ
- GREATER REACH — Extra-long 18-foot power cord and 10-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a McCulloch product, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 2 years. Supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.
- Built to meet U.S. voltage requirements. Certified, safety-tested, and warrantied for use only in the U.S.
Last update on 2021-07-29 at 03:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API