First things first, sometimes only carpet cleaning specialists can properly clean the carpet from chewing gum’s leftovers and dry stains. They use special equipment and products with chemicals after checking the carpet’s thickness and material.
However, it is possible to clean the carpet on your own. Before applying any method of cleaning and using different products, check their effect on a small patch of the carpet to make sure that the chosen cleaning option fits the carpet and won’t ruin it.
Special carpet-cleaning products for removing chewing gum
For removing chewing gum many manufacturers produced special sprays – mostly spot-carpet cleaning products with multi-functional uses. The most popular remedies are:
- Boardwalk Gum Rmvr;
If you do not know how to remove the chewing gum from the carpet, but want to apply a chemical-based solution, you can choose among the following products:
- Solvents in liquid form. They must be applied to a clean cloth and then you should soak the last dried gum. After 2-3 minutes the contamination can be removed with a piece of cloth or a toothbrush;
- Universal stain removers are sprayed all over the contaminated area and then remove the chewing gum with a sponge;
- Aerosol sprays. They are sprayed on the chewing gum and work by quick freezing. For the total removal of a dried gum from the carpet, use a knife or ordinary spoon;
You may also apply a dry cleaning solution, citrus-based degreaser or mineral alcohol to chewing gum. These substances will dissolve the polymer compounds in chewing gum, reducing its sticky properties, so it will be easy to remove the chewing gum from the carpet.
Step-by-step guide for removing chewing gum
Despite the bought product, the method of use is very simple:
- Apply the selected solution to a clean cloth and spread all over the chewing gum. You can also use solutions containing methyl salicylate as a solvent;
- Always test the substance in an inconspicuous area of
the carpet to make sure that traces won’t remain after removing the chewing gum;
- Give the solvent time to expose the chewing gum;
- Wait 5-10 minutes, depending on the “freshness” chewing gum before you begin to remove it. During this time, solvents will destroy polymer bonds in the gum;
- Scrape the chewing gum off the carpet with a dull knife. Try to scrape the gum in one direction to preserve the carpet pile;
Homemade remedies for removing gum of carpet
If you want to save the carpet from chewing gum without the use of expensive carpet cleaning products, then you need to do two things – remove gum as quickly as possible and use one of the homemade products. The longer the gum remains on the carpet’s pile, the less likely you can completely get rid of its residue. Also, keep in mind that DIY and homemade remedies may not help from the first time, so you should apply them more than once.
DIY remedies for removing the chewing gum of carpet:
- Ice. Ice can be used if you want to get an instant positive result. Due to the freezing, the gum becomes hard, loses its stickiness and falls off on its own. You just need to attach a piece of ice to the contaminated area of the rug and wait a few minutes until it melts a little and the gum loses stickiness;
- Another chewing gum. It sounds absurd, but sometimes you can get rid of the dried chewing gum with another chewing gum. It is necessary to chew it thoroughly, and then knead it until it begins to stick. Put it on the contaminated area and pull it sharply. Repeat several times if it doesn’t work out right away;
- Petrol. An effective method, but it can be unsafe for the rug’s material, as well as for the human body. Pour some petrol on chewing gum and wait a few minutes. Then scrape off with a knife;
- Alcohol. Alcoholic beverages can help get rid of the chewing gum and cope with stickiness. Instead of alcohol, other strong beverages are often used. First, soak a piece of cloth in alcohol, then thoroughly moisten the contaminated area. After a short period of time, you can remove the chewing gum with a blunt knife;
- Scotch tape. If you begin to remove the chewing gum immediately after dropping it on the carpet, the scotch tape will effectively help. It will take a small piece of the tape, then glue the tape to the gum and pull it with a sharp movement. If it did not work out the first time, repeat the same actions again;
- Detergent + warm water. Prepare a solution of 1 tablespoon of a universal detergent and 1 tablespoon of warm water, apply this solution on a sponge and clean the carpet. Remove the residue of the solvent from the carpet with a soapy solution. Dry the carpet with paper towels!
Cleaning fresh gum vs cleaning dried gum
Dried chewing gum is much more difficult to remove from the carpet, as it has already turned into a dense crust. It is much easier to remove the fresh gum. But, in this case, greasy marks can remain and nothing but professional spot carpet cleaning solutions can assist.
If nothing helps at all, take the carpet to dry cleaning. It employs professionals who can cope with the task and not cause damage to the flooring. In this case, safe means are used that are designed for a certain type of material and its structure.
How to get the chewing gum out of a carpet with a long pile?
Do you want to know how to remove chewing gum from the carpet with a long pile? I have a few effective remedies that won’t damage the long pile of the carpet when removing the chewing gum:
- Boiling water. Apply 1.5-3.3 oz. of boiling water to the contaminated area, rub it well with a toothbrush. After removing the gum, you must clean the carpet with a damp sponge and a special detergent. Instead of boiling water, you can use a regular hair dryer;
- Ironing. Cover the dirt with a cloth, then iron the area with a hot iron. The gum will stick to the fabric. After such cleaning, a barely noticeable spot may remain, which is recommended to be washed with shampoo for manual cleaning of carpets;
- A makeup remover liquid can be also effective. Try to remove the maximum amount of the chewing gum from the flooring, but do not smear it. Soak a cotton swab with a colorless makeup remover. Wipe the contaminated area. Clean the rug with water. This liquid does not leave sloppy stains on the carpet pile. You need to choose a water-based product, not an oil-based remedy;
Warning tips for cleaning the gum of carpet:
- Never rub the carpet while cleaning, in such a way, you may accidentally destroy the fiber structure and carpet’s patterns;
- You may also exacerbate the situation by rubbing the gum even deeper into the carpet;
- Always check the remedies and solvents in an inconspicuous area of
the carpet to make sure that they do not leave even larger stains after removing the chewing gum;
If you act quickly, the removal of the chewing gum from the carpet will be an easy thing to do. Just make sure to try a few remedies – both professional and homemade solutions – before giving up.