The Dyson V11 is a powerful vacuum cleaner that’s portable, lightweight and easy to maintain. The filter is one of the most critical parts of the vacuum to clean. We walk you through how to clean Dyson V11 filter in a few easy steps to keep your Dyson running smoothly with minimal issues.
When you service your filter often, your vacuum will last longer, and you won’t need to replace the filter or experience clogging and debris build-up, which can lead to significant problems.
How to Remove the Dyson V11 Filter
One of the most straightforward steps to cleaning your filter is removing it from the Dyson vacuum. This process is as easy as gently twisting the filter and lifting it off the vacuum to remove it altogether. Turn the filter counterclockwise until you feel the filter loosen, then separate it from the machine. Now, you’re ready to clean the filter.
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Clean Dyson V11 Filter
Cleaning your Dyson V11 filter is one of the easiest ways to keep your vacuum running smoothly.
- With the filter unit separated, tap it over a garbage can or receptacle to remove excess dust or debris. Once you notice all the debris and loose dirt is removed, the filter is ready to clean.
- Only water should be used to clean the filter. You can use warm tap water and directly apply it to the filter to rinse.
- Position the filter in the sink, just below the faucet, with the foam element pointed down, toward the sink. Gently run water over the top of the pleated paper of the filter.
- Run the water so that it’s at a medium flow and not too excessive so that you can observe the filter while rinsing it.
- Turn the filter on its side, and rotate it slowly, running the water over and inside the foam element. Squeeze the foam element gently to remove dirt trapped in the filter as the water loosens it. You’ll notice the dirt rinse with the water and into the sink.
- Turn the filter a few times, making several rotations, until the water runs clear, then turn the filter to where the opening is facing upward, to the faucet.
- Fill the filter with water until the unit is approximately one-third or half full, then cover the top or opening with your hand. Ensure that both open ends are covered with your hands and shake firmly from side to side.
- After about 20 to 30 seconds, pour out the water, rinse the filter, repeat the process, start with the pleated paper, rotate the filter on its side to rotate under the tap and fill and shake.
As you continue this process, you’ll loosen all the dirt and build-up inside the filter, which may take a few times to clean thoroughly. When you notice the water runs clear and all the dirt is removed, rinse the filter once more, just briefly, then gently shake to remove any excess water so that it’s not dripping wet.
Drying Your Dyson V11 Filter
When your Dyson vacuum filter is cleaned and rinsed, place it on a flat surface in a warm and dry place. Let the filter air dry for 24 hours. Depending on the size, temperature and humidity, some filters may take longer to dry. Ensure that no items are placed on the filter, including cloths, towels or other items, as this may impact the filter’s ability to dry quickly.
After one full day, check to ensure the filter is completely dry. This step is essential because it may damage the motor if the filter isn’t thoroughly dry. If the filter needs to dry further, set it aside for another 12 to 24 hours, and wait until it is ready to refit into the vacuum.
When the filter is ready, twist it into the Dyson V11 by turning it clockwise until you hear a “click” sound to ensure it’s fastened into place. Once you fasten the filter into your Dyson V11, it’s ready to use immediately.
A Few Tips on Using Your Dyson V11 and Filter
If you need to use your Dyson V11 model while your filter is drying, it’s helpful to buy a few extra filters to use, which are compatible with this Dyson vacuum cleaner. You’ll find additional filters through Dyson’s online store or at an authorized retailer to keep on hand as needed.
If the vacuum filter is very congested, you may have to rinse it several times to remove all the dirt. It’s essential to avoid adding detergent, mild soap, and other solvents, which may damage the filter and reduce its effectiveness.
Your Dyson vacuum filter should be cleaned at least once weekly, primarily if you use your vacuum frequently. When a filter isn’t cleaned regularly, it can impact the air quality and reduce the suction in your machine.
The Dyson V11 is a straightforward machine with a simple filter to remove, clean and dry. With regular maintenance, your Dyson V11 filter and vacuum will perform well for years.